Please Consider this Powerful Ministry

sponsor a child inn ministries

Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Lots of Book News!

Hi, wonderful reader warriors of The Realm!

It may seem that I've been in exile these post Christmas months. That is, in fact, only half true. I've had some pretty tight deadlines that have kept me snuggled up with my Mac desktop. And, you may have heard that we here in Maryland have had one humdinger of a winter. Storm after storm, the latest being a 22 inch blaster. Lots of fun, but often involving a little extra…well everything: time, work, projects, etc.

During that time, some strange things have happened. My oldest daughter somehow grew up. She got accepted into UMBC's medical/nursing program. Yay, Kayla! But how'd she get to be 18? Seems like only yesterday, I was singing "Isn't she precious…" to little Kaydoodle in the swing. [Sigh] That's what happens when you become a professional writer. There's so much joy in the craft of storytelling, but you have to be willing to allow time to accelerate beyond control. In every worthwhile endeavor, it seems, there is a sacrifice.

Enough waxing nostalgic. You probably want to know about books! There's a ton of news.

I'll start with the oldest news first.

In the midst of crashing through Dark Sea 3: Mirror of Souls, I got the idea for a short story based on The Door Within universe. A few weeks later, I released The Blackwood, exclusively on Kindle. And by exclusive, I mean you can pretty much download an app that will allow you to read the Kindle file on any electronic device you own.

Want to know more about The Blackwood, click HERE.



Next up: Dreamtreaders! I've started a new trilogy with Thomas Nelson / Harper Collins Publishers. This one examines the world of dreams and poses the question: what if your dream come true turned out to be your worst nightmare? Want to know more about Dreamtreaders? Click HERE.


Dreamtreaders Book 1 Releases May 6th! We'll be having a release party, Amazon Blitz, contest. So look for that.

And, because I just couldn't wait to show you, here's the cover for Dreamtreaders 2: Search for the Shadow Key:



NOTE: the tagline shown here will be changed to: "Some Doors Should Never Be Opened."

Next up, news on The Dark Sea Annals.



Book 1: The Sword in the Stars and Book 2: The Errant King have been out for quite a while. But book 3: Mirror of Souls has been in the works for two years now. Thank you for your patience. This series is dear to me as its kernel concept crashed into my imagination back in the early 1990's. I have outlined 7 books in this epic series, and GOD WILLING, it will be a massively epic life's work, kind of tale. AMG publishers picked up the series, and they have been absolutely AWESOME to work with. Really felt like a family publisher. But just after I signed on with them for books 3-7 of the Dark Sea books, the entire publishing world was turned upside down by eBooks.

Long story short, the 5 book contract has become kind of an albatross for both AMG and me personally. The marketplace for print books has begun to dry up, and it's harder and harder for small publishing houses to get books into the major chains. And so, in a very mutual decision and very friendly too, AMG and I are parting ways. They have agreed to give me back the rights to the entire series. Yeah, how often will a pub house do that? That's how cool they are. They want to see the books reach their mission potential as I see it. For that, I am supremely grateful.

So, where does this leave my readers and Dark Sea 3, Mirror of Souls? In good hands, I hope. I will be revisiting Sword in the Stars and The Errant King, reediting, repackaging, and republishing them in eBook format AND print paperback. And I will release them and Book 3 Mirror of Souls at the same time, hopefully, this Holiday Season, mid Novemberish.

Finally, for my older readers, I'm stoked to announce that my first THRILLER novel for 16+ GHOST has been enough of a success to warrant continuing the series. I have two more books already outlined. GHOST 2: Minister of Fire will be released by midSummer 2014. Yep, that would be this summer! God willing. I'd appreciate prayers for all my writing projects. Time is hard to come by and I want these tales to honor the Author in Chief.




If you haven't checked out GHOST yet, please do. You can check out the Kindle version HERE and the paperback HERE.

Thank you for reading and, as always, for being faithful to the One True King and His mission.

Never alone, Endurance and Victory, and Anchor First, Anchor Deep.

-Wayne

16 comments:

Gabe M said...

SO pumped for Mirror of Souls! All your stuff has been great, but the Dark Sea series is by far my favorite.

Good call on the tagline change for the Shadow Key... Much better.
What's the target age for the Dreamtreaders series?

By the way, my 9-year old sister read both of the books you did for Focus on the Family, and LOVED them!

Anonymous said...

Yay! Thanks for posting, Mr. Batson! Dreamtreaders looks soooo cool...and has a pretty awesome cover, too. I look forward to reading Dark Sea Annals 3, as well.

Anonymous said...

Yay! A post from Mr. Batson! Dreamtreaders and Dark Sea Annals 3 sound really cool; I'm looking forward to reading them.

Tracey Dyck said...

Thank you so much for a book update! It's good to know what's going on with all of them, especially Dark Sea Annals. :) I'm looking forward to Mirror of Souls getting published, and I wish you the best with all your writing projects!

Sarah Pennington said...

YES! MIRROR OF SOULS IS COMING THIS YEAR! I have been very impatiently waiting for this announcement, and I'm glad it's finally official! Super excited for the Dreamtreaders series too; they sound cool. And the covers are awesome. Who does your cover art, BTW?

Anonymous said...

Disappointed by the news about Mirror of Souls, but I completely understand. The Dark Sea Annals are by far my favorite work of yours, so I would like to them come to fruition. Keep workin' hard!

Strength and Honor

Bethany Baldwin said...

Thanks for the update! I'm glad you're continuing the Dark Sea Annals. My brother is too. I'm pretty sure they're his favorites of your writings!

A Random Elf said...

WOooHooo!!! Indeed, tis wonderful to see your return from a long and torturous exile. I look forward to all the books that are coming. Dark Sea Three is a dream come true (haha see what I did there?) Dreamtreaders sounds so cool. I'm looking forward to it.

Unknown said...

This is absolutely the news I was hoping for! Great stuff, Mr. Batson. I look forward to reading each and every one as they come out, having done so every year since 2010.

A Ghost sequel is most welcome! It's almost a hearkening back to such great works as "This Present Darkness" by Frank Peretti, only even more intense. Am I wrong in assuming that "Minister of Fire" will be set in Scotland?

I believe I am most excited for "Mirror of Souls," as well as the re-release of the earlier novels. The new edits, especially; the continuity gaffe with Alastair's death and later appearance in the wedding and second book has irked me somewhat over the past few years. My recommendation: Please push for a hardback edition this time around. The scale and beauty of this series sorely deserve it.

You will ever continue to have my sword, Sir Batson!

Tracey Dyck said...

Christopher -- wasn't it Hagen that died and then appeared at the wedding in the next chapter? (I could be wrong; it's been a long time since I read it.) The characters and plotline of the two books were so amazing, I could overlook most of the editing mistakes, but it will be great to see them polished up for the re-release. And YES, I agree about a hardcover edition! These sort of books are keepers and deserve that kind of durability.

Istherewifi said...

I am a huge fan of your books and I simply can't wait to read your newest material! Nock is one of my favorite characters so I'm really excited to read more about him!

Silversbook said...

The Dark Sea Annals is my favorite series of books. I have been anticipating Mirror of Souls for ages. I am so glad to hear it will be released this year. I have a sinking feeling that I will be through college by the time all seven books are out. I first read sword in the stars back in middle school, and it has since remained my favorite book.

Anonymous said...

Yikes!
Well I defiantly wasn't expecting that. Really happy that things are working out for you though.
I do have some questions if you wouldn't mind answering them...
#1, are there still going to be seven Dark Sea Annals?
#2, I bought the Skeleton project Fright Pack and I was looking through the back pages and saw the thing for Supernatural, are you still going to make it into a book?
#3, when is the next Skeleton project coming out?
#4, Now that you're comfortable with self publishing, will you consider doing any more full length Pirate novels?
(Sorry couldn't help it with the last question;)
-Mikayla

Unknown said...

@Michelle Dyck - Yes, that's right. "Alastair's friend's death" was what I had meant to type, but I was on my way to work at the time and must have not noticed I omitted a *very* important word. Thanks!

Unknown said...

Wayne, If you stop writing the Dark Sea Annals I'll go mad. Can't wait for Mirror of Souls! I beg you to finish this series.

Anonymous said...

Please finish the Dark Sea Annals Series!!!!!