Please Consider this Powerful Ministry

sponsor a child inn ministries

Wednesday, February 28, 2007

James Cameron…Jeer or Cheer?

You've no doubt heard that on March 4th, famous Hollywood director James Cameron will be releasing a documentary about a "recently" discovered ossuary containing {ahem} the remains of Jesus Christ, his wife (Mary Magdalen), and their son. In his press conference, Mr. Cameron detailed how the names inscribed on the plot and some DNA evidence prove {Must contain gag reflex} statistically that this is most likely the tomb of the Jesus of the Bible.

I have to admit, I'm a fan of Mr. Cameron's moves: The Terminator, Aliens--classic SciFi, baby. But this…C'mon. He doesn't need to do this kind of sensational ploy to make $$$. Just make another Aliens movie.

But really, I'm concerned that once again, the press and media will hype this out of context and the same gullible people who were duped by the DaVinci Code will jump on this bandwagon too. Don't let it go there please.

Here's a great response I found on {of all places} Yahoo Answers:

But Bar Ilan University Professor Amos Kloner, a former IAA archaeologist who oversaw the excavation 27 years ago and has authored detailed reports on the findings, said the IAA was "very foolish" to loan the ossuaries.

"There is no likelihood that Jesus and his relatives had a family tomb," said Kloner.

"They were a Galilee family with no ties in Jerusalem. The Talpiot tomb belonged to a middle-class family from the first century CE [Common Era]," he said.

During an interview with the film's producers, Kloner said that "Jesus, son of Joseph" inscriptions had been found on several other ossuaries in Israel, along with the other names.

"It makes a great story for a TV film," said Kloner, "but it's impossible. It's nonsense."

That about says it all....

So much for the sensation.

But I say, Cheer Mr. Cameron's efforts. Once again, people of all ilks will be talking about Jesus. And when they open up the subject…

10 comments:

everlastingscribe said...

Well, this is nothing new, I know that much. This started I think with the pharisees saying that the disciples had taken the body and hidden it away and then lied about it, saying that Jesus had ressurected from the dead. I welcome the chance to talk intelligently about this.

I do find it interesting that this is following so close on the heels of the movie "Amazing Grace". That's the story of William Wilberforce, one of the most dynamic and passionate Christians in history, and how his belief in Christ and in how we are to view one another(You can read for yourself what William Wilberforce thought in his book "Real Christianity") literally changed the world.

I find it very interesting.

;)

Anonymous said...

They're wacked. Isn't he the guy who made Titanic a movie? Am I right? Where did he go wrong? Don't mess with the Biblical stuff. It'll get you everytime.
:-)

Astral Pen said...

This documentary sounds so silly. Scholars immediately started coming out of the woodwork debunking this documentary. The Discovery Channel may post some decent ratings, but I don't think it'll get as far as DaVinci Code-mania.

I don't know why Cameron chose to do this. It didn't strike me as up his alley, and for that matter, I had no idea he was tromping around in Israel, considering he's been spending years on underwater dives and filming documentary footage down there.

- Jason

amy said...

Hmmm...

Well - when I first saw the previews, I rolled my eyes and thought, "Great, somebody else trying to disprove the basis for Christianity."

Then I was amused, because no matter how hard they try, there will always be doubt as to the accuracy of these crazy theories. So in essence, they're just creating an opportunity for people to see how ridiculous it is to try and "disprove" Christ.

I agree that any debate on Jesus is still time well spent, especially for our non-Christian friends. However, these recent attempts do seem like feeble false prophets.

In all, no propaganda will deture true Christians and maybe it will cause some non-believers to ask important questions like, "Why do so many scholars find it worth their time to investigate this Jesus dude?" So I have no real issues, but it does seem like their wasting a lot of time and money on disproving something that isn't capable of being disproven.

Just my personal thoughts...

WayneThomasBatson said...

Amen, Amy. Wouldn't it be interesting to know how many people become Christians as a direct result of this documentary and the conversations in stirs up?

And Brett, yup. This is Titanic's director. Hmmmm...nuff said.

Yeah, Jason, it is really odd that he would do this. It's not like he really needs the money. Maybe it was a personal thing…a way to avoid facing the real Jesus.

And Scribe, you seen Amazing Grace yet? I'm dying to go, but haven't had a chance yet.

Astral Pen said...

I read in a book or a magazine, I forget which, that describes Cameron as "not particularly religious." Maybe that says something. It does seem that the subject of Christ will push people's buttons, which is quite interesting if they profess not to believe in Him.

- Jason

everlastingscribe said...

Not yet Lord Batson, a little darling called 'Elena Violet' prevented me from going on my day off. :-D Though I'm not complaining-she makes me an Aunt for the second time.

I'm hoping to see it this week!

And Jason, I think you hit it spot on, so very interesting that He matters so much to those that say they don't believe.

Anonymous said...

Hi. I'm the kid who was in the red sweatshirt who said “OH MY GOSH!” because you scard me half to death. I just want to say that I am really looking forward to reading your trilogy. And the thing with the tomb of jesus and stuff is pretty crazy! XD

Rachel A. Marks said...

So retarted. Even the scientific and historical community is rolling their eyes. That's sad.

Anonymous said...

Well said.